This course will provide a practical understand of land seismic acquisition. In this hands-on course, students will participate in all aspects of planning and implementing 2D and 3D seismic surveys.
The course will cover:
- Seismic survey objectives
- Input data required for design analysis
- 2D design & parameter selection
- 3D design & parameter selection
- Survey layout with a focus on surface modeling
- Seismic acquisition equipment
- Field implementation
- Acquisition QC
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand and apply basic seismic acquisition design techniques
- Recommend 2D & 3D parameters that meet imaging objectives
- Apply basic surface modeling concepts
- Understand various components of field operations
- Have an awareness of how seismic acquisition affects processing, interpretation, and QI
Both paper and computer-based course exercises will be completed. For the computer-based exercises, students are encouraged to bring a laptop with the following minimum requirements:
- Memory: 8 GB or more preferred
- Hard Drive: 50 GB free space
- Video Card: 256 MB with 32-bit Color Quality (must support Open GL 4.0)
- CPU: 64-bit 1.8 GHz or better.
- Quad-Core (or more) preferred Microsoft Excel or an equivalent spreadsheet program
Instructor is Andrea Crook.